Women’s tennis’ Pac-12 Championships run ends with 4-0 loss to Stanford

After Oregon pulled out its first program win over UCLA on Thursday, the Ducks were unable to pull off another upset as Stanford blanked Oregon 4-0 on Friday at the Ojai Valley Athletic Club to maintain its unbeaten streak in Pac-12 play. The Ducks’ six conference wins in the regular season (6-4) is their …

After Oregon pulled out its first program win over UCLA on Thursday, the Ducks were unable to pull off another upset as Stanford blanked Oregon 4-0 on Friday at the Ojai Valley Athletic Club to maintain its unbeaten streak in Pac-12 play.

The Ducks’ six conference wins in the regular season (6-4) is their best Pac-12 record since the 2004-05 season (5-6).

The Cardinal, the Pac-12 leader ranked No. 6 in the nation, clinched the doubles point after taking down the duos of Nia Rose and Marlou Kluiving 6-1, and Alyssa Tobita and Rifanty Kahfiani 6-2. Shweta Sangwan and Julia Eshet were unable to finish their match.

Stanford continued its dominating streak in the singles with two-set defeats against Eshet, Kluiving and Rose. Rose came the closest to holding off her opponent, limiting the point deficit in her first set to two point (6-4) but ultimately gave up the second set 6-2 to seal Stanford’s sweep. The remaining three singles matches were left unfinished.

“Today’s match against Stanford was a tough one, but getting to compete with one of the top teams in the nation shows us that we are right there with them,” Tobita said in a news release. “Yesterday’s win was like a dream. We had an opportunity to get into the tournament with a win against a top 25 team and we were able to play the way we wanted when it mattered most.

“I’m so proud of the team energy we brought and the belief we had in one another.”

Oregon’s overall record of 14-10 is the program’s best finish since the 2005-06 season (14-9) when the progam finished seventh in the conference standings. The Ducks will learn of their NCAA Tournament destination on Tuesday.

The NCAA will announce individual selections on Wednesday.

Follow Romaine Soh on Twitter @mainetainpls