Oregon beat No. 47 ranked Washington this Friday after a series of close singles matches to finish out the match and their conference season.
The win led the Ducks to an even overall record of 10-10 and 4-6 Pac-12 play.
The No. 57 ranked Ducks began the match with wins from their ranked doubles teams of No. 60 Nia Rose and Alyssa Tobita and No. 65 Marlou Kluiving and Nicole Long. Each won with a score of 8-4 to bring the score to give the Ducks the double point.
In singles play, the Huskies came back strong with a win over senior Lina Åkesson 6-1, 6-3. Kluiving and Sofia Hager were the next to fall, both with 6-2, 6-4 losses. The score was 3-1 Huskies.
It wasn’t until Long defeated Miki Kobayashi in an exciting match that the Ducks scored a point in singles play. Long’s match began her match with a 2-6 loss, which she recovered from with a 6-4 win in the following set. Going in to the third set, Long was able to hold Kobayashi off to win the match 6-2.
No. 71 singles player and freshman Rose gave the Ducks their next point over Washington with ease 6-2, 6-2, 6-3. Rose advanced 19 places in the rankings when she beat her No. 27 ranked ASU opponent last weekend.
Going into the final set of the match the score was tied 3-3.
Tobita, the freshman recruit from Hawaii, had the last match still in play. Tobita lost in her first set 4-6 to Washington’s Grace Ysidora, but was able to redeem herself with a 6-2 win in the following set. going into the final set, Tobita left her opponent scoreless with a 6-0 win and the final point for the Ducks.
The 4-3 win was the Duck’s second in five games.
Oregon’s final match of the season will be this Sunday at home at 11 a.m. The Duck’s will also be sending off their two seniors Long and Hager in the match against Idaho.
- #71 Nia Rose (ORE) def. Elianne Douglas-Miron (UW) 6-2, 6-2, 6-3
- Alyssa Tobita (ORE) def. Grace Ysidora (UW) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Nicole Long (ORE) def. Miki Kobayashi (UW) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Julija Lukac (UW) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 6-2, 6-4
- Capucine Gregoire (UW) def. Lina Åkesson (ORE) 6-1, 6-3
- Riko Shimizu (UW) def. Sofia Hager (ORE) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3
- #60 Rose/Tobita (ORE) def. Douglas-Miron/Kobayashi (UW) 8-4
- #65 Kluiving/Long (ORE) def. Lukac/Ysidora (UW) 8-4
- Gregoire/Shimizu (UW) def. Åkesson/Gomez
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Follow Madison Layton on twitter @MadisonLayton01