2018.11.30.EMG.SEN.UO.VB.vs.Baylor.NCAA-8.jpg

The Ducks huddle together at the beginning of the second set. Oregon Ducks volleyball takes on Baylor University in the second round of the NCAA Championships on Nov. 30, 2018. (Sarah Northrop/Emerald)

Oregon volleyball will head into the 2019 season tied for the second highest preseason ranking in program history. 

After finishing their 2018 season at No. 9 in the AVCA poll following their run to the Elite Eight, the Ducks will open the 2019 season at No. 11 in the poll.

The Ducks will enter the season as the second-highest ranked Pac-12 team behind the defending National Champions and No. 1 ranked, Stanford. No. 13 Washington, No. 14 USC, No. 22 Washington State and No. 24 Arizona round out the remainder of the Pac-12 schools inside the top-25. 

Oregon, despite being ranked above USC, was picked to finish third in the Pac-12 in the preseason coaches poll with USC picked second behind Stanford. 

The 2019 Ducks will feature a top-10 recruiting class, head coach Matt Ulmer’s fourth top-10 class in the last five years and AVCA all-Americans (Willow Johnson, Brooke Nuneviller and Ronika Stone). 

Despite an already daunting conference schedule, the Ducks will also play three top-15 teams on the road before they begin Pac-12 play. Oregon will go on the road to face No. 12 Pittsburgh. No. 3 Minnesota and No. 8 Penn State. The Ducks are slated to play 13 matches against top-25 foes. 

Before their season begins, the Ducks will hold their annual Green-Yellow scrimmage at Matthew Knight Arena on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 7 p.m. Oregon will then follow up with its  season opener at home against UC Irvine and Boston College in the Oregon Classic on Aug. 30-31.

Follow Gabriel on Twitter @gabe_ornelas

Gabriel Ornelas is the Sports editor. Previously, he was a sports reporter covering everything from football to women's beach volleyball. Ornelas is a senior from Bakersfield, California, and is pursuing a journalism degree.

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.