2019.02.08.EMG.CJC.MTEN.UO.vs.BOISESTATE-4.jpg

Sophomore Charles Roberts rises up to serve in a doubles match. Oregon Ducks men’s tennis takes on Boise State University at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore. on Feb. 08, 2019. (Connor Cox/Emerald)

The #48 Oregon men's tennis team suffered a defeat at the hands of #13 UCLA 4-1 in Los Angeles. The Ducks (13-6) are now 1-4 in Pac-12 play this season.

The Bruins improved to 13-4 on the season and remain undefeated in Pac-12 play. The Ducks' record on the road now stands at 2-5.

However, freshman Joshua Charlton was able to salvage a victory in singles play, defeating Ben Goldberg of the Bruins (6-2, 7-6, 7-5.) His personal record now stands at 19-3.

The Ducks were defeated in other matches across the board.

This included #33 Keegan Smith over Ty Gentry (6-1, 6-3) and #21 Maxime Cressy over Emmanuel Coste of the Ducks (6-1, 6-2.)

Eric Hanh defeated Ethan Young-Smith as well (7-6, 8-6, 6-1.)

The remaining matches of the day went unfinished. This included #49 Govind Nanda against the Duck’s Riki Oshima and Matthew Tsolakyan against Charles Roberts.

In Doubles, #4 Keegan Smith and Maxime Cressy defeated the Ducks duo of Joshua Charlton and Ty Gentry (6-3). Also Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj defeated Armando Soemarno and Emmanuel Coste (6-3.) Govind Nanda and Connor Rapp played against Riki Oshima and Charles Roberts, this match went unfinished.

The Ducks will look to put in a stronger showing against #11 USC on Saturday night. They will also attempt to snap a five match losing streak.

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.