2019.04.24.EMG.BCG.GOLF.NCAA-13.jpg

Senior Edwin Yi hits the ball. Oregon Ducks men's golf plays in the Pac-12 Championships at Eugene Country Club in Eugene, Ore. on April 24, 2019. (Ben Green/Emerald)

Edwin Yi is tied for first place after the second round of the NCAA men’s regional golf tournament in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Yi leaped five spots on Tuesday and is now 8-under par with a combined two round score of 136 strokes. He tallied 67-of-136 strokes on Tuesday, two strokes less than his first outing. Yi is well positioned to be the individual champion.

However, Yi’s strong individual performance has not attributed to much team success. The Duck’s only moved up one spot on the team leaderboard and are sitting at sixth place after the second round of the tournament. The Ducks as a whole took 288 strokes on Tuesday for combined score of 577 stokes after two rounds.

The current team leader is Ohio State, who replaced Illinois on the top of the leaderboard. The Buckeyes have taken 565 strokes, meaning that the Ducks have their work cut if they want to win the region.

Other notable Ducks include, Yin Ho Yue who sits at 26th place and Ryan Gronlund, who sits at 34th place. Finally, farther down the standings include Craig Ronne at 41st place and Kevin Geniza who is at 73rd place.

The Ducks will conclude the regional on Wednesday, seeking a top-five finish to advance to the NCAA Championship

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.