Norman Xiong wins men’s golf opener, Ducks finish fourth

Sophomore Norman Xiong tied for first to lead Oregon men’s golf to a fourth place finish in the Rod Myers Invitational at Duke University Golf Club on Sunday. Xiong shot 12-under par over the two-day tournament to share the individual title with Wake Forest’s Will Zalatoris. The 2017 NCAA Men’s …

The Oregon Ducks travelled this week to Santa Cruz, California, to compete in the Western Intercollegiate Tournament. The No. 39 Ducks had an average showing, placing sixth out 13 teams and scoring a total of 1065 strokes (+15). The overall champion No. 16 Stanford scored 1040 strokes.

The Ducks played consistently throughout the three-day tournament, playing 348 strokes in round one, 359 in round two, and 358 in round three.  It was a solid effort considering they played many ranked opponents such as No. 6 USC, No. 11 California, No. 19 Pepperdine, No. 46 Colorado State and No. 44 Arizona. This tournament serves as a preview for the Pac-12 Tournament as the Ducks played many conference rivals.

At an individual level, the top performer for the Ducks  was Yin Ho Yue was who finished 14th. Craig Ronne finished tied at 17th. After Ronne, the Ducks players fell further down the leaderboard with next best finisher being Edwin Yi and Tom Gueant at 26th place. Other notable finishes include Kevin Geniza at 33rd place and Ryan Gronlund at 69th place. The top finishers in the tournament were San Jose State’s Sean Yu and Stanford’s Isaiah Salinda.

The Ducks freshmen players were the most impressive as Ho Yue, Ronne and Gueant all placed within the top 30. The next big test for the Ducks will be the Pac-12 Tournament on Monday.