Oregon headed to Alamo Bowl to take on No. 11 TCU

The Ducks are headed to the 2016 Valero Alamo Bowl for the second time in three years. No. 15 Oregon will take on No. 11 TCU of the Big-12 conference on Jan. 2 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The Alamo Bowl typically features the second-choice team from the Pac-12 …

The Ducks are headed to the 2016 Valero Alamo Bowl for the second time in three years.

No. 15 Oregon will take on No. 11 TCU of the Big-12 conference on Jan. 2 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The Alamo Bowl typically features the second-choice team from the Pac-12 and the third-choice team from the Big-12.

The Ducks had a chance to make the Rose Bowl, but needed a loss from either Clemson or Alabama on Saturday for Stanford to sneak into the College Football Playoff. Both the Tigers and the Crimson Tide won their match-ups.

The Ducks played the 2015 National Championship Game at AT&T Stadium last season and lost to Ohio State 42-20. They won the 2013 Alamo Bowl the season prior 30-7 over Texas.

UCLA won the 2014 Alamo Bowl last season 40-35 over Kansas State.

The Ducks ended the season ranked No. 16 by the College Football Playoff committee.

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.