12.5.2020.EMG.DLY.FBB.UO.VS.CAL.SH-10.jpg

Ducks Head Coach Mario Cristobal runs back to the sideline. Oregon Ducks football takes on the California Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif., on Dec. 5, 2020. (DL Young/Emerald)

Mario Cristobal continued to show his commitment to the trenches on Saturday, July 17, adding yet another key recruit along the offensive line. Dave Iuli, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound interior lineman from Puyallup, Washington, chose Oregon over a handful of other Pac 12 schools and other top teams including LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

According to the 247Sports Composite, four-star lineman Iuli is the nation’s No. 10 interior offensive lineman.

Iuli joins a stacked class — which already includes five-star recruit Kelvin Banks and three-star recruits Cameron Williams and Michael Wooten, as well as JUCO transfer Percy Lewis. Cristobal, a former offensive lineman himself, has clearly made it a priority to win at the line of scrimmage.

The offensive line has been the strength of the Oregon program in recent years, developing high-end athletes among the likes of Penei Sewell, who left the program a top 10 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. To compete with conferences like the SEC, winning in the trenches needs to be a priority, and Cristobal seems to have taken that to heart, adding yet another weapon to an already stellar recruiting class.

Starting as a freshman is unlikely for Iuli, but expect him to compete for a starting role as players like Ryan Walk, Alex Forsyth and Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu move on or graduate in the coming seasons.