Distance runner Reed Brown verbally commits to Oregon

The Ducks secured another elite distance runner for the future on Tuesday when Reed Brown, a standout from Southlake Carroll High School, verbally committed to Oregon for next season. Brown, a native of Southlake, Texas, a Dallas-area suburb, has already competed at Hayward Field as a prep athlete. During the 2016 …

The Ducks secured another elite distance runner for the future on Tuesday when Reed Brown, a standout from Southlake Carroll High School, verbally committed to Oregon for next season.

Brown, a native of Southlake, Texas, a Dallas-area suburb, has already competed at Hayward Field as a prep athlete. During the 2016 U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials, which were hosted this summer at Hayward Field, Brown won the high school boy’s exhibition race. He crossed the finish line in 4 minutes and 4.73 seconds.

Before that, he ran the nation’s sixth-fastest time when he completed 5,000 meters in 14:41.6.

https://twitter.com/reedbrown03/status/791026982830022656

Last spring, Brown was named the Dallas Morning News’ boys track and field athlete of the year after he won the Class 6A state championships. He broke a 29-year-old Texas state record in the 3,200-meter with a time of 8:50.43.

In that same state meet, he almost broke the state 1,600-meter record of 4:03.27 when he was the runner-up with a time of 4:04.82

Follow Hannah Bonnie on Twitter @hbonnie03

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.