2018.11.17.emg.dkr.uo.fb.vs.ASU-11.jpg

Oregon Ducks Head Coach Mario Cristobal gives intructions to the team. Oregon Ducks football takes on Arizona State at Autzen Stadium in Eugene Ore. on Nov. 17, 2018. (Devin Roux/Emerald)

Oregon football is adding another 5-star recruit to an already historic 2019 class. 

Chris Steele, who committed to Florida during the All-American bowl on January 4th, entered the transfer portal a week ago. Steele was denied a room change by Florida football coachesHis request to change rooms was due to his roomate, Jalon Jones being accused of two sexual assaults.

A week later, Steele made his decision to come to Oregon, who he considered a second choice prior to his commitment to Florida

The Bellflower, California, native was rated the nations No. 5 cornerback and No. 42 overall recruit in the class of 2019, according to 247sports. Oregon landing Steele now makes him the highest-rated defensive back in program history. Adding Steele to the 2019 class puts Oregon at the No.5 recruiting class in the nation, according to 247sports.

The 6-foot-1, 187-pound defensive back is adding to a thin position at cornerback. Steele will join Mykael Wright, Thomas Graham Jr. and Deommodore Lenoir at the cornerback position.

Steele will now await his decision to see if he’s granted a waiver to play immediately following his decision to transfer.

Gabriel is a sports reporter covering women's volleyball, women's soccer, men's basketball, baseball, women's lacrosse and football.

As UO's independent student-run publication, the Daily Emerald covers all things Ducks, and covering the NCAA tournament is one of the most exciting opportunities for Emerald sports reporters. Any donation large or small helps support independent student journalism and provides Emerald reporters with the opportunity to cover the Ducks' shot at bringing a national title home to Eugene.