Oregon falls to Baylor in acrobatics and tumbling national championships

Fewer than four points separated Oregon and Baylor in the NCATA national championship final. No. 1-ranked Oregon failed to get revenge on Baylor, who clinched its third national title in the sport. The Bears defeated the Ducks by a score of 279.400-275.625 to win their second-straight national title in Azusa, California. Oregon was outscored …

Fewer than four points separated Oregon and Baylor in the NCATA national championship final.

No. 1-ranked Oregon failed to get revenge on Baylor, who clinched its third national title in the sport. The Bears defeated the Ducks by a score of 279.400-275.625 to win their second-straight national title in Azusa, California.

Oregon was outscored by 0.10 in the compulsory event but took a 0.05 point lead after the second event. The pyramid event went in favor of Baylor, and the Ducks narrowly trailed the Bears at halftime, 96.40-96.15.

The Ducks outscored the Bears in the toss event following the intermission, taking a 0.10 lead heading into the 60-point worth tumbling event. Baylor took the tumbling event 57.350-56.225, retaking the lead 181.750-180.725 with the final event remaining: the team event.

Oregon had to outscore Baylor in the team event to win it all, but Baylor proved its strength in the team event. The Bears scored a 97.650 while the Ducks scored a 94.900, giving Baylor the national championship with a meet score of 279.400-275.625.

The Ducks had a successful season overall, with a dominant winning record. Oregon’s only losses this season came in meets at Baylor and in the national championship against Baylor in Azusa.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow