Coronavirus_NIH.jpg

This scanning electron microscope image shows SARS-CoV-2 (yellow)—also known as 2019-nCoV, the virus that causes COVID-19—isolated from a patient in the U.S., emerging from the surface of cells (blue/pink) cultured in the lab. (Courtesy of NIAID-RML)

Updated on June 22 at 8:15 p.m.

Three University of Oregon students in Eugene tested positive for COVID-19, with one additional presumptive positive case, according to an email sent to students on Monday, bringing the total number of university-related cases to five.

The students are all in isolation, according to the university, with public health officials conducting contract tracing. 

Lane County reported 107 total COVID-19 cases, with 103 confirmed positive cases and four presumptive cases. Twenty-one cases are resting at home, according to current Lane County Public Health data.

Original story, June 12

NEWS ARTICLE

A University of Oregon student in Eugene tested positive for COVID-19 on June 12, according to an announcement sent out to students via email. This is the first confirmed case of the coronavirus associated with UO.

UO did not provide any further information regarding the identity or age of the student. The student is in isolation, according to the announcement, and had minimal on-campus contact.

“Public health officials are conducting contact tracing and monitoring for individuals associated with this positive case,” the announcement stated.

UO provides information about positive coronavirus results concerning students and employees in the UO community who’ve used university facilities within two weeks of testing positive, according to UO’s COVID-19 case website.

Lane County has seen 85 total cases of COVID-19, with eight people currently resting at home with the virus.

UO will require students, faculty, staff, visitors and business vendors to wear face coverings inside buildings on campus starting June 15, according to an announcement from the university. UO will provide face coverings to individuals as necessary, the announcement stated.

Duncan is an associate news editor for the Daily Emerald. Previously, he was the crime reporter. He likes buying books he'll never read, true crime and Superman.