UOPD will host free pepper spray training May 10 and 11

The University of Oregon Police Department will offer free pepper spray training classes to UO students and employees on May 10 from 4 to 5 p.m. and May 11, 6 to 7 p.m. The class, which requires online registration, will be held at the UOPD station on 2141 E. 15th …

The University of Oregon Police Department will offer free pepper spray training classes to UO students and employees on May 10 from 4 to 5 p.m. and May 11, 6 to 7 p.m. The class, which requires online registration, will be held at the UOPD station on 2141 E. 15th Ave.

“Over the years this class has been heavily requested both by students and parents,” UOPD spokesman Kelly McIver said. “The class is designed to give people a chance to use the tools and be ready both physically and mentally to use them in a stressful situation.”

McIver wrote in an email that after a series of robberies in March, UO police held 90-minute self-defense classes twice each weekday in the first two weeks of April. You can view the Emerald’s map of the robberies here.

Students should contact Sergeant Jared Davis by phone at 541-346-9224 or by email at [email protected] if they have any questions.

Michael is one of the Emerald's associate news editors. He does investigative work as well as stories about the UO Administration. Drop him a tip: [email protected]