UO Student Arrested on Child Porn Charges

University of Oregon student Aryavong Khounlavouth was arrested on charges of first-degree felony encouraging child sexual abuse. Khounlavouth was arrested at his home in Springfield on Tuesday, June 14, following an investigation dating back to 2014 by Royal Canadian Mounted Police and U.S. Department of Homeland Security. According to The Register-Guard, …

University of Oregon student Aryavong Khounlavouth was arrested on charges of first-degree felony encouraging child sexual abuse.

Khounlavouth was arrested at his home in Springfield on Tuesday, June 14, following an investigation dating back to 2014 by Royal Canadian Mounted Police and U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

According to The Register-Guard, an investigation found person-to-person messages containing child pornographic subject matter sent via a Twitter account. The account was traced to a Canadian man named Eric Paul.

Paul was also using chat application KIK to disseminate child pornography to individuals, including Khounlavouth.

The department of Homeland Security contacted Springfield area police who subsequently seized 44 items from Khounlavouth’s residence including a computer hard drive in May that led to Khounlavouth arrest earlier this week.

Khounlavouth is being held on 10 separate felony charges of encouraging child sex abuse at the Lane County Jail.  

More information will be made available as this story develops.