Following a high-speed motorcycle chase through Eugene Wednesday evening, a suspect in a possible assault is still on the loose.

Four different law enforcement agencies chased a man on a motorcycle throughout Eugene, passing by campus on Hilyard Street. Eugene Police, Oregon State Police and the Lane County Sherrif’s Office were involved in the chase.

Witnesses told the Emerald that shortly after 8 p.m., a man on a motorcycle went the wrong way down one-way Hilyard Street at high speeds. Six unmarked police vehicles followed closely, follow by more than 10 other police vehicles a few seconds later. The motorcycle came close to

The suspect was last scene in the southwest Eugene area. (Christopher Trotchie/Emerald)

hitting oncoming traffic.

According to Lane Country Sherrif’s Office Sgt. Carrie Carver, the chase started near Marcola Road at approximately 7:30 p.m.

The Register Guard initially reported that the man was a possible homicide suspect, but later changed the description to assault.

Sgt. Carver described the suspect as a white male, 30s or 40s, with short, dark hair, a reddish blonde goatee, medium build, between 5’8 and 5’10. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and black motorcycle pants.

Office Sgt. Carrie Carver returns to her vehicle after searching for a suspect in South Eugene. (Christopher Trotchie/Emerald)

“We’re still urging people to keep an eye out for that description and contact local law enforcement. Do not attempt to contact [the suspect] if you see him,” Carver said.

Parts of the Fox Hollow neighborhood in South Eugene were blocked to residents earlier in the night, but people are now able to return to their homes.

“The canine team thoroughly searched the area, but we were unable to locate the suspect at this time. It is still an active case,” Carver said.

The suspect abandoned his motorcycle in South Eugene following the initial chase, and fled on

A Eugene Swat Team trucks leaves the scene as the search is concluded in southwest Eugene.

foot. The chase began in the Marcola area, before continuing down the freeway into downtown Eugene and

eventually South Eugene.

Police do not know the name of the suspect at this time. It is also not confirmed whether or not the suspect is armed.

Updates to come as this story develops.

Please consider donating to the Emerald. We are an independent non-profit dedicated to supporting and educating this generation's best journalists. Your donation helps pay equipment costs, travel, payroll, and more!