Statue of “The Duck” will be placed on campus this weekend

The University of Oregon will place an 8-foot-tall, bronze statue of its Duck mascot in front of the Ford Alumni Center on Saturday morning, the university announced Thursday. The 1,000-pound statue will be located between the alumni center and Matthew Knight Arena. The dedication will take place at 11:30 a.m., …

The University of Oregon will place an 8-foot-tall, bronze statue of its Duck mascot in front of the Ford Alumni Center on Saturday morning, the university announced Thursday.

The 1,000-pound statue will be located between the alumni center and Matthew Knight Arena. The dedication will take place at 11:30 a.m., before the men’s basketball game tips off in the arena at 1 p.m.

Pit Crew members and UO officials will be there to welcome the new statue, created by 2011 UO graduate Alison Brown. Brown designed the statue in clay at her Troutdale studio, then moved onto the casting process at Firebird Bronze in Boring. The bronze duck forms an “O” with its feathered hands, and is dressed in a green and gold UO shirt and sailor hat.

UO graduate Tom Clarey, who received a political science bachelor’s degree in 1972, gave the statue as a gift to UO. Clarey has made other donations toward scholarships and the library.