Student Sustainability Center at the EMU

The Student Sustainability Center hosts produce drop's on the second Tuesday of each month for students who need free food. (Zach Price/Emerald)

The Student Sustainability Center is hosting a produce drop Tuesday afternoon to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to students in need. The event occurs on the second Tuesday of each month from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the EMU amphitheater.

There is no registration necessary at the event to receive produce, and students may take  produce free of charge, according to the SSC food security website.

The SSC website lists income requirements for students to receive produce. Any student with an income up to twice the Federal Poverty Level is eligible. The program gives the following eligibility guidelines for students not claimed as dependents:

Persons in Family       Annual Income

1                           $24,120

2                           $32,480

3                           $40,840

4                           $49,200

The program is sponsored in part by Food for Lane County, whose mission is to “eliminate hunger in Lane County,” according to its website. Food for Lane County offers a variety of other programs for those in need, including emergency food boxes and meal sites around the county.

Read the Emerald's story on Feed the Flock's fight against food insecurity here.  

Zack Demars is an administration reporter for the Daily Emerald. He's into politics, people, candy corn and the Oxford comma. You should send him tips, pictures of your dog and your favorite vegetarian recipes at [email protected]