2018.11.15.EMG.SEN.Party sober-2.jpg

Party 4 Health's Jacques Martiquet leads a dance in front of the EMU as part of the group's "Party Sober All Over" project on Nov. 9, 2018. (Sarah Northrop/Emerald)

Jacques Martiquet of the Vancouver, B.C.-based group Party 4 Health stopped by the EMU amphitheater on Thursday afternoon, blasting music and inviting passersby to join him for some enthusiastic dancing.

For 10 minutes, Martiquet and a few fellow dancers moved to classic dance songs like “Cha Cha Slide” by DJ Casper.

Martiquet said that the impromptu dance party was part of the “Party Sober All Over” global tour, which has already made stops at the University of Washington and University of Portland.

“We think that partying and dancing is the best way to keep up productivity for students,” said Martiquet, who described his party tour as a “disruption for the good.”

According to the Party 4 Health website, the objective of Party Sober All Over is to “inspire youth everywhere to party sober and live healthy, social lifestyles” by throwing 100 sober parties in 100 days in locations around the world. A videographer was also on hand to record the event, and there are plans to create a web series with footage from the tour.