In response to government and public criticism for underage use of Juul’s vaping products, the company announced on Tuesday that it will no longer sell most of its flavored products in stores.
To buy the popular fruit-flavored Juul pods, consumers will have to go to the company’s website and go through a multi-step age-verification process to ensure customers are at least 21 years old. According to the New York Times, however, Juul will continue to sell mint, menthol and tobacco flavors in stores.
“Our intent was never to have youth use Juul,” said Kevin Burns, chief executive of Juul Labs, in a statement reported by the New York Times. “But intent is not enough. The numbers are what matter and the numbers tell us underage use of e-cigarettes is a problem.”
Juul e-cigarettes hit the market in 2015 and account for two-thirds of of the U.S. e-cigarette market, according to Stanford medicine.
A Stanford research study questioned 12th graders last month and those recently out of high school, finding that the participants, “reported using Juul about twice as often as smoking conventional cigarettes when asked about use of tobacco products over the past seven or past 30 days.
“We don’t want anyone who doesn’t smoke, or already use nicotine, to use Juul products,” CEO Kevin Burns said in a statement reported by Fast Company. “We certainly don’t want youth using the product. It is bad for public health, and it is bad for our mission.”
The Emerald will continue to report on this story as more information becomes available.