UO Delta Upsilon and Delta Tau Delta now welcoming transgender men

Beginning this past January, the Delta Tau Delta fraternity announced on Twitter that it will be joining Delta Upsilon in accepting transgender men as members. DTD member Zach Lusby said the chapter’s national policy does not discriminate against men based on their race, sexual orientation or gender. “One of the driving …

Beginning this past January, the Delta Tau Delta fraternity announced on Twitter that it will be joining Delta Upsilon in accepting transgender men as members.

DTD member Zach Lusby said the chapter’s national policy does not discriminate against men based on their race, sexual orientation or gender.

“One of the driving elements in our fraternity is that we value excellence, and we would lose a lot of good men if we excluded transmen,” Lusby said.

The DU chapter congratulated DTD’s decision in a tweet this weekend.

While there are not any current transmen in the fraternity, the chapter welcomes anyone who self-identifies as male to rush in the spring, said Henry Korman, DU vice president of loss prevention and former DU representative of the Fraternity and Sorority Life Task Force.

“One of our founding principles is the advancement of liberal culture,” Korman said. “It is really important to allow anyone who identifies as male to be in the fraternity.”

Korman said DU, as a non-secret and no-hazing chapter, extends its policy to ensuring that all sexist and genderist language be removed from the vocabulary of the fraternity’s men.

Both Korman and Lusby said this shift reflects the character of their chapters.