Uber to stop operating in Eugene Sunday

In an email to users, Uber Eugene announced that the car sharing service will stop operating in Eugene Sunday, April 5. The email blames the Eugene City Council code. “When the Eugene City Council voted to apply outdated code to transportation network companies like Uber, they created a regulatory climate …

In an email to users, Uber Eugene announced that the car sharing service will stop operating in Eugene Sunday, April 5.

The email blames the Eugene City Council code.

“When the Eugene City Council voted to apply outdated code to transportation network companies like Uber, they created a regulatory climate that makes it impossible for the small businesses that partner with Uber to thrive and meet the high standard of service and safety residents have come to expect. By adopting these rules, Eugene officials have eliminated hundreds of jobs and a safe transportation alternative for their city.”

For more information on the conflict between Uber and the city of Eugene, check out this recent article. Eugene wanted Uber’s cars to be licensed as “public passenger vehicles” (any vehicle which is used for the transportation of passengers for hire), which would include a commercial auto insurance policy.

Uber wanted to be licensed as a transportation network company.