Breaking: Union Pacific to begin herbicide spraying along Eugene railroads

The City of Eugene received a notice from the Union Pacific Railroad Company that the railroads within the city limits will be sprayed with herbicides as a part of routine railroad vegetation maintenance. The spraying is set to begin on Feb. 15, should weather and train transportation allow it. Union …

The City of Eugene received a notice from the Union Pacific Railroad Company that the railroads within the city limits will be sprayed with herbicides as a part of routine railroad vegetation maintenance. The spraying is set to begin on Feb. 15, should weather and train transportation allow it.

Union Pacific will be spraying the following airborne herbicides: Accord XRP, Activator 90, Oust XP, and Perspective, all of which are approved for commercial use. The chemicals will be sprayed in a 24-foot-wide pattern, 12 feet on either side of the tracks.

The Union Pacific is required by a Good Neighbor Agreement (a type of written agreement between two parties to ensure cooperation should problems arise) with the City of Eugene to notify before the start of the spraying season. The city of Eugene has no control over the spraying method, the chemicals used, or when the spraying happens.