The ASUO will hold a third week of voting for five races after its Constitution Court ruled that some candidates were improperly excluded from this week’s runoff ballot.
One Oregon and Duck Squad filed a joint grievance to the Constitution Court on April 11, asking to restart the whole runoff election. The elections board sent out an incorrect ballot, leaving out eight candidates running for various at-large seats last Friday.
Amy Laube, One Oregon’s campaign manager, said in the grievance that “candidates need to be afforded their rights, and students need to be given given their proper candidate choices.”
The seats that will be on the ballot next week are:
- Adding Cherry Ni of One Oregon to the runoff in the 2-seat PFC race.
- Reversing Morgan Krakow and Maddie Moore as winners in the two one-year Athletics and Contracts Finance Committee seats — a runoff should occur between Morgan Krakow, Maddie Moore, Yuri D’Agosto and Henry Korman.
- Adding Amber Erkan of Duck Squad to the runoff in the 2-seat EMU at-large 1-year race.
- Reversing Adrianna Roberts and Sammi Wong as winners for the pair of two-year EMU at-large seats — a runoff should occur between Adrianna Roberts, Sammi Wong, Jasmine Asadi and Kiara Kashuba.
- Adding Trevor Lan of One Oregon and Priscilla Cardenas of Duck Squad to the runoff in the Student Recreation Center Advisory Board race.
Duck Squad campaign manager Vickie Gimm said the Constitution Court’s decision is “a game changer,” but she also admitted that campaigns will face difficulties.
“Going to the fourth week of [campaigns] and third week of voting, it will be hard to keep momentum up,” Gimm said. “But we will utilize our maximum capacity to get our candidates elected.”
Laube said the decision is the “best option so far,” and she is excited that candidates can get a fair chance to be elected next week.
This Constitution Court’s decision will not affect the rest of the ballot this week, meaning the ASUO presidential race will still be decided by the end of this week.
Voting in this week’s runoff election will remain open until 4 p.m. this Friday. Next week’s runoff election will last from April 18 to April 22.