Agate Hall evacuated after bomb threat; building reopened at 4:26 p.m.

Agate Hall was evacuated on Tuesday after a bomb threat. (Michael Tobin/Emerald)

Update: UOPD reports Agate Hall will reopen around 4:30 p.m. and security guards will remain in the building.

Update: Police are reopening the roads surrounding Agate Hall. Police say the bomb threat is cleared and Agate Hall will be closed for the rest of the day.

Police evacuated students and staff from Agate Hall Tuesday afternoon after the building received a bomb threat.

Police have not yet determined the validity of the threat and are searching the building for bombs.

UOPD spokesman said that students and faculty won’t be returning to the facility today.

Traffic is blocked on Agate Street and 18th Avenue and police are urging the public to avoid the area.

Cheryl Ernst was in the building when it was evacuated.
“It was all very orderly,” she said. “Campus police came through and asked us to leave the building in a calm and orderly fashion.” Ernst, executive director of the American English Institute, said police didn’t tell her the reason for evacuated.

Check back for developing coverage or follow @dailyemerald.

Rylee Kahan and Will Campbell contributed to reporting for this story.

Michael is one of the Emerald's associate news editors. He does investigative work as well as stories about the UO Administration. Drop him a tip: [email protected]