New Hampshire Primary watch party in Gerlinger Lounge Tuesday

The Wayne Morse Center for Law and Politics are hosting a watch party in the Gerlinger Lounge on Tuesday, Feb. 9. The event will begin at 4, once the vote totaling begins in New Hampshire. A discussion led by four Morse Scholars, Andrew Dunn, Jacob Gram, Morgan Murphy, and Celine …

The Wayne Morse Center for Law and Politics are hosting a watch party in the Gerlinger Lounge on Tuesday, Feb. 9. The event will begin at 4, once the vote totaling begins in New Hampshire. A discussion led by four Morse Scholars, Andrew Dunn, Jacob Gram, Morgan Murphy, and Celine Swenson-Harris, will begin at 5.

The discussion will focus on the political process and the importance of the primaries in our national elections. It will also look critically at the 2016 presidential elections and the candidates’ policies.

The New Hampshire Primaries come in conjunction with the Iowa Caucuses which were a week ago on Feb. 1. Ted Cruz won the most delegates for the Republicans with Donald Trump and Marco Rubio just behind him in second and third place. Hillary Clinton won on the Democrat side by .03 percent (2 delegates) of the vote over Bernie Sanders.

In the week since Iowa, Martin O’ Malley, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul, and Mike Huckabee have all announced an end to their campaigns. This leaves only two Democratic candidates in Sanders and Clinton, a race which is too tight to predict. On the Republican side it will matter who gets a lead in New Hampshire. We can expect to see more GOP candidates fall off after this primary who cannot gather enough support to make it into the frontrunner spots.

The big questions for New Hampshire are whether Cruz’s lead over Trump and Rubio will continue and whether the Sanders camp can come out on top of the Clinton campaign by seizing the momentum from Iowa.

Complimentary snacks will be provided to attendees.