Knight Campus architecture team announced

The University of Oregon selected two architecture firms to begin designs on the $1 billion Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact. The announcement was made on the university’s blog Wednesday morning. Bora Architecture, based in Portland, Oregon, will work on the project with the New York based …

The University of Oregon selected two architecture firms to begin designs on the $1 billion Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact. The announcement was made on the university’s blog Wednesday morning.

Bora Architecture, based in Portland, Oregon, will work on the project with the New York based firm, Ennead Architects. A total of 11 firms applied for the project.

Bora was awarded the American Institute of Architects Firm Award for, “client-focused service, design excellence and innovation, a culture that nurtures staff, meaningful sustainability and community engagement, and financial stability,” according to the AIA website.

Ennead’s work dots college campuses across the country. The firm’s buildings can be seen on Purdue, Kansas State, Vassar and New York University campuses along with many others.

The campus, announced last October, is designed to help turn scientific research into tangible products. Phil and Penny Knight’s gift of $500 million is the largest-ever single donation to a flagship public university.

In addition to the long-term benefits the campus promises to provide for scientific research and production at UO, more immediate economic impacts are projected. According to the announcement, peak construction is projected to contribute up to $99.7 million in economic activity for the state of Oregon. Another $80 million in annual income activity statewide is estimated once the project is complete and hosting up to 300 full-time staff.