Women’s golf ends fall season with 10th-place finish in Pac-12 Preview

Oregon women’s golf wrapped up its Fall season with a 10th-place finish at the Pac-12 Preview at Nanea Golf Club in Kailua Kona, Hawaii Tuesday afternoon. The Ducks finished at 28-over par (612) after two rounds, but the third and final round on Tuesday was canceled due to rain and …

Led by freshman Hsin-Y (Cynthia) Lu and sophomore Briana Chacon, the Ducks finished fourth overall on Tuesday at +2 after two days at the Wildcat Invitational. 

On day one, the Ducks came out strong with 5-under 283 in the opening round before finishing with 7-over 295 in the second round. Oregon was led by Lu, who sat in a tie for fourth overall at 4-under after opening day. Lu, who is ranked No. 50 in the World Amatuer Golf Rankings, had a stellar start on the first 16 holes en route to a 5-under 67 finish. After a bogey on hole 18, Lu made four straight pars before making a string of seven birdies in 12 holes. After the first round, Lu tied for the eighth-best individual round in Oregon program history. She finished with four bogeys in her final seven holes, but still came in at 4-under overall. Lu sat just three strokes behind USC’s Allisen Corpuz entering Tuesday’s final round.

Slightly behind Lu on day one was Chacon, who also had a standout first day with a 1-under 71 in the second round. Chacon buckled down in the second round and shot 3-under across her final 14 holes to come in at 71. Heading into day two, Chacon sat in a four-way tie for sixth overall. 

In the final round on day two, Lu continued her impressive play with four birdies in six holes to come in 4-under and 8-under overall in the tournament. With just two shots off the lead, the freshman tied for second overall at 7-under-par, finishing Tuesday with a 3-under 69. 

Chacon also had a terrific second day on the course with six birdies in the final round for a 3-under 69 to cap off the tournament after three birdies in four holes. She finished 4-under par for a three-way tie for sixth place. 

Next up for women’s golf is the Ping ASU Invitational starting March 36 in Tempe, Arizona. 

Follow Carly on Twitter @carlyebisuya.

Carly Ebisuya is a senior sports writer from SoCal. She covers basketball, track and field and softball. After graduation this spring, she will be interning at The Denver Post. Along with journalism, she loves trying new boba shops and traveling.