Story and Multimedia by Melissa Haskin
Chili (modeled after the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook recipe)
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or ground beef OR no meat at all. Whatever make’s you happy.
2 large white onions
1 large green pepper
8 cloves of garlic
2 cans of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes. Feel free to substitute fresh tomatoes, but make sure and add a little extra water.
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
A couple teaspoons salt and pepper.
1. Rinse beans.
2. In a large pot add diced pepper, onion, minced garlic and meat. If you’re using ground turkey you’ll also need to add a little butter or oil.
3. Cook until meat is done and onion tender.
4. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir. Stir some more.
5. Bring to boil and then simmer.
6a. Turn on Titanic and drink a pitcher of margaritas. Seriously it’s going to simmer that long.
6b. Okay fine, you only have to simmer it for an hour. Check seasonings about half way through and don’t forget to occasionally stir.
7. You’re done. YAY. Put lots of cheese on it
For the rest of the week, you can eat it out of a bowl or make chili-cheese nachos, put it on a potato or on a burger. Enjoy.
Special thanks to contributors Clare Hancock and Stacey Hollis.