the emerald gamescast logo wide

The success of Fortnite comes at the cost of tough working conditions; Mortal Kombat returns to the public consciousness with a new brand of social controversy; and an angry fan throws an actual crab at competitive Smash Bros. superstar HungryBox. All this and more on the fourth episode of The Emerald GamesCast, a weekly industry news show featuring Emerald news and video games beat reporter Nolan, and his friends Alex and Andrea.

Daily Emerald: "The story behind ‘Gone Home': Oregon’s video game critical darling"

---

Sources:

Polygon: "How Fortnite's success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games"

GameRant: "Mortal Kombat 11: Unlocking Cosmetics Sounds Like a Slow and Brutal Grind"

Variety: "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ignites Switch Sales"

Nintendo: Financial statement

SiliconEra: "Famitsu Readers' Top 3 Heisei Era Games are Chron Trigger, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nier Automota"

Polygon: "Fan assaults top Smash Bros. player with crab at tournament"

---

The Emerald GamesCast is a weekly video game news and discussion podcast from the Emerald Podcast Network with an industry focus. Hosted by three best friends, each episode will provide the listener with a week's worth of gaming headlines and conversation about current releases. Guests welcome, scripts discouraged and passion essential. Episodes come out Tuesdays.

Associate Podcast Editor Sararosa Davies produced this podcast, and Podcast Editor Ryan Nguyen edited. Theme music is "Flamingo (Azureflux Remix)" by Kero Kero Bonito, modified under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.

Sararosa Davies is the associate podcast editor at the Emerald and has been on staff since her freshman year. She focuses on Arts & Culture podcasts and produces the Emerald Recommends series. Sararosa loves hummus, music and weird theatre.

Danny Latoni is a podcast producer. They produce and edit multiple podcasts for the Emerald Podcast desk weekly. Danny specializes in working "behind-the-scenes" on projects and loves to work across media platforms.