Preview: Oregon Games Studies Conference 2016

UO Think.Play (whom we’ve profiled before) will host the second annual Oregon Games Studies Conference this Saturday, Feb. 6. on the University of Oregon campus. The conference will take place in Education 176 and will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The event will consist of several panels, discussions, and activities regarding video games, game culture, and the role games play in our society.

The conference will start with a meet-and-greet followed by two panels and a lunch break, during which there will be a showcase of games developed by attending speakers. Afterwards, there will be several more panels before the event concludes. Free catering will be provided at certain points throughout the day.

“It’s going to be a day of talk and games,” said Nate Boyd, a computer science major and a member of the Think.Play steering committee. “Hopefully, we’ll have some games from around the area and from students to show off.”

Some notable guests will be Nina Freeman, an independent game developer and a member of Fullbright StudiosCJ Pascoe, a University of Oregon professor and Director of Undergraduate Sociology; and Kahlief Adams, owner and host of the Spawn On Me podcast.

Planned panels include: an independent game development panel, which features game developers from Eugene and Portland talking about their experiences in the game industry; a Games and Multimedia panel, which focuses on streaming, Let’s Play videos, and YouTube gaming culture; and a Games in Society panel, which will explore how games represent systems of power and oppression in our society.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to talk to people from outside of the university about the subject of video games,” said Dante Douglas, another member of the UO Think.Play steering committee.

The conference is free and open to the public provided they adhere to the event’s official code of conduct, which primarily prohibits harassment of any kind at UO Think.Play events. Drugs, alcohol, and weapons of any kind are also strictly prohibited.

Much of the event will be recorded, streamed and archived by the members of UO Think.Play, so that those who are unable to attend will still be able to experience the discussions online.

UO Think.Play is an ASUO-recognized student organization on campus that hosts weekly meetings to discuss games and game culture from an academic perspective. You can learn more about UO Think.Play from our profile coverage here or from their official Facebook page.