There’s really nothing more satisfying than melted cheese between two slices of perfectly toasted bread.
Just as delightful as the bread and cheese combination, during May 1-10, 15 restaurants in Eugene will be team up with FOOD For Lane County, whose “mission of the organization is to alleviate hunger by creating access to food.”
For 10 days, these restaurants and food trucks will serve “their own twist on the classic grilled cheese,” with $1-$2 of each purchase benefiting the organization.
Anna Leigh Williams is a development intern at FOOD For Lane County and the main event coordinator for The Grilled Cheese Experience. Sponsored by US Bank and Bicoastal Media (KFLY, KDUCK, KOOL and KTNW), Williams created this event for her family and human services senior project. The Grilled Cheese Experience is its own first annual fundraiser hosted by the organization, FOOD For Lane County to continue to support the mission, she said.
Mark your calendars folks, as the most delicious 10 days of the year as we know it are approaching fast. Here are the 15 participating restaurants:
- The Bierstein Bottleshop & Pub featuring the “Très Queso Primo” with cheddar, provolone, smoked gouda, sliced tomatoes, basil and garlic aioli on grilled ciabatta bread.
- Grilling Places featuring the “Hemped Out Grilled Cheese” with Havarti, veggies, warmheart hempburger and hemp sauce. Gluten-free bread available. “The hempburger and sauce come from a family recipe my mom has been working on for years, branching out from other hemp patties,” said owner Gavin Place about the organic, non-dairy treat.
- The Vintage featuring the “Mediterranean Grilled Cheese” with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, sliced red onion, spinach, feta and mozzarella on Marché ciabatta bread. Served with Kettle Chips.
- The Food Mill LLC featuring a beer-battered bacon grilled cheese.
- Glenwood Restaurants (both locations) featuring “The Big Cheese” with jack, cheddar and swiss on grilled rustic white bread.
- Marché Provisions featuring “Le Sandwich Au Fromage Grillé” with gruyere and Dijon Mornay sauce on grilled Provisions levain.
- Johnny Ocean’s Grill featuring a bacon and tomato grilled cheese.
- WildCraft Cider Works featuring a grilled cheese with Juniper Grove farmstead cheese, Dijon mustard and house made tomato preserves.
- Red Wagon Creamery featuring the “Grilled Cheese Ice Cream Sundae” with one scoop cheddar cheese ice cream and 1 scoop toasted brioche ice cream, topped with a parmesan crisp. “We strive to make our ice cream with real foods. When FOOD For Lane County came to us my wife, Emily knew right away we were going to have a one scoop of cheddar ice cream and one scoop of brioche ice cream. She added the parmesan crisp to represent the crispy melted cheese that is on the side of a real grilled cheese,” said owner Stuart Phillips.
- Falling Sky Brewing (Delicatessen location) featuring the “Beef Belly Pastrami Grilled Cheese” with cheddar, swiss, pickled red onions and arugula pesto. Served with a side.
- Cornbread Cafe – featuring a grilled cheese with Daiya cheddar, French fries and sassy slaw on grilled sourdough. “Sassy slaw is a take on the classic coleslaw. I love the combination of flavors in this sandwich with crispy and melty textures from the fries, slaw and cheese,” said chef Becky Waterman.
- Kun FusionGrill featuring the “Grown Up Grilled Cheese” with choice of protein, cheddar, Sriracha aioli and Kunfusion sauce on grilled Texas toast.
- Agate Alley Bistro featuring a grilled cheese with gravlax, Tillamook vintage extra sharp white cheddar, whipped cream cheese, capers and roasted scallions on grilled focaccia. Garnished with cucumbers and pepperoncinis.
- Sammitch Food Cart and Truck (all three trucks) featuring the “CheezyMMMitch” with mozzarella, feta, Havarti, cheddar, provolone and brie. Optional: bacon and/or tomato. Gluten-free bread or lettuce wrap options available.
- Wild Duck Cafe featuring the “Black Forest Ham and Grilled Apple Cheese” with freshly sliced black forest ham smeared with sweet onion marmalade and grilled on Challah bread with charbroiled green apples, double cream brie and smoked gouda cheese. “This rich, classic, French inspired sandwich is perfect for the spring to summer transition,” said chef Hallie Hinchee.
“I am excited to try all of the grilled cheese sandwiches and the grilled cheese ice cream sundae featured by Red Wagon Creamery,” said Williams. “And thank you to Killer Burger Eugene for matching the average restaurant donation to FOOD For Lane County.”