Emerald news podcast logo horizontal

"It's still like such a taboo topic. Not everybody really talks about this, and people don't see this as a career, a lot of times."

"There are so many people — not even on this campus but at college campuses — who are involved in sex work who you wouldn't even know about."

Students often joke about dropping out of school to make more money in the sex work industry, but some students are working in the sex industry to pay for their education. In the fifth episode of "How It's Reported," Podcast Editor Ryan Nguyen talks with arts and culture reporter Amira Borders about her cover story on college students who work in the sex work industry, her experience visiting two strip clubs to report on this story and the rules around naming sources.

Amira's cover story: "Sex Work in College: A different type of work-study

This is episode five of "How It's Reported," a series from the Emerald Podcast Network designed to illuminate how journalists report on the latest news, build trust between news outlets and audiences and promote informed and engaged listeners, which are vital to a healthy democracy.

Ryan Nguyen produced and edited this podcast. Music is "A Fist Full of Organs" by Evan DuPell and "Airliner" by Podington Bear.

Podcast Editor

Ryan Nguyen is the podcast editor and an aspiring education reporter. He manages, produces and edits several Emerald Podcast Network programs a week. Previously, Nguyen covered student government as a news reporter.