This Sunday night, students across campus will gather together, determine who among them has an HBO GO password they can use, and watch the 5th season premiere of Game of Thrones. The fantasy megahit is a cultural phenomenon, and deserves the most epic of viewing parties. Get your house ready with these easy GoT-inspired recipes, and celebrate in royal style.
Sansa Stark’s Favorite Lemon Cakes
Game of Thrones is a story of passionate love — between husband and wife, king and countrymen, brother and sister — but none more devoted than Sansa Stark and lemon cakes. Across many seasons, countries and families, the one constant in the girl’s life is these bright yellow pastries. Our version isn’t quite medievally-accurate (we are quite confident George R.R. Martin’s original text does not reference Jello Pudding) – but it is extremely delicious.
1 box lemon-flavored cake mix
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups milk (chilled)
1 box instant lemon pudding mix
(Optional) powdered sugar for garnish
1. Prepare the box mix according to the package directions for cupcakes. Typically this will produce 24 cakes. Allow the cakes to cool.
2. Mix together the instant pudding mix and milk, and leave it to set.
2. Using a melon baller, scoop out the centers of the cakes. Pour the pudding into a Ziploc bag, and clip off the corner. Pipe the pudding into the cakes, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Makes 24 lemon cakes
Honey-glazed Wings From The Crossroads Inn
Nothing feels quite as primal human-like as digging into chicken, right off the bone. Kings, soldiers, and watchers on the Wall alike will dig into these delicious wings. (Adapted from a recipe from Taste Of Home)
12 chicken wings (approximately 2 & 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat the oven for 350 degrees. Mix together the three sauces in one bowl, and set to the side.
2. Add the chicken wings to the sauce mixture, and toss to coat. Lay the wings evenly in a baking dish, and bake for one hour until the juices run clear.
Red Wedding Sangria
If you’re over 21, and a consistent fan of Game of Thrones — you know that sometimes, it takes a tall drink to recover from the show’s most shocking moments. Honor Westeros’ tradition of grisly matrimony with a simple Sangria.
1 box red wine
2 liters of orange soda
Frozen fruit (your choice, I’m partial to strawberries or raspberries)
Mix it in a goblet, stupid.