University of Oregon student Minyu Yang, 21, plead “not guilty” to a strangulation charge on Oct. 18, one day after the Eugene Police Department arrested him at his house.

Yang was charged with Class A Misdemeanor of strangulation, where he allegedly “impeded the normal breathing or circulation of blood” of another student. According to a police report, Yang and the 20-year-old female had an argument in a parking lot located at the 3400 block of Kinsrow Avenue. The situation escalated when he reportedly “grabbed her by the throat,” EPD spokesperson Melinda McLaughlin said.

Minyu Yang is facing a  strangulation charge after being arrested on Oct. 17

According to EPD dispatch log, three officers responded to the call at 11:15 a.m and investigated. Yang was booked into the Lane County Jail on Oct.17. Court documents show he was released on Oct. 20.  Judge John Kilcullen ordered a “No Contact” count, and Yang has since taken up residence in a motel downtown.

Yang is scheduled to appear in the Lane County Circuit Court on Nov. 21. According to a university document, Yang is pursing a major in economics.