Eugene woman sues Washington County following 2014 rape, beating after Oregon football game

A Eugene woman is suing Washington County after she was raped by a juvenile — accused of murder one week earlier — who attended an Oregon football game. He attended the game through a now-discontinued Washington County program in which troubled youth were provided free Oregon football tickets and could attend under county supervision (Creative Commons).

A Eugene woman is suing Washington County and a counselor after she was beaten and raped by a 17-year-old male who was brought to to an Oregon football game at Autzen Stadium in September 2014 by the Washington County Juvenile Department, according to The Oregonian.

The department, where Jose Andrade works as a counselor, was supposed to be watching the attacker when he went missing at while attending the Sept. 13, 2014 game. Now, the 40-year-old woman seeks an undisclosed amount of money for physical, emotional and economic damages.

She alleges that the department ignored signs that the attacker, Jaime Tinoco, was not fit to attend the now-discontinued program that allowed him to be at the football game. Tinoco is accused of committing aggravated murder three weeks earlier in a separate case, but officials didn’t arrest him until after the Eugene attack. One night prior to his trip to Autzen, Tinoco was cited for driving without a license and breaking curfew. Still, he was allowed to visit the stadium.

The Eugene woman alleges that the county and counselor failed to keep close watch over Tinoco. The then-17-year-old was lagging behind the group of 12 youths and county staff members before he separated from the group, according to the complaint. Andrade reportedly told Tinoco to keep up. However, the counselor went to the front of the group soon after. At some point, the attacker went missing and was free for six hours before assaulting the Eugene woman. County officials did not notice that Tinoco was missing until one hour after leaving, at which point they returned to Autzen Stadium.

Tinoco followed and ran after the woman when she left a pub near the stadium. After dragging her into bushes in front of the stadium and attacking her at 7:30 p.m., police later found and arrested Tinoco at a footbridge.

The Washington County program was that funded these trips designed to allow at-risk youth to attend football games. The University of Oregon provided tickets for the program. In 2015, it was announced that the program would no longer continue.

The now-18-year-old Tinoco faces aggravated murder charges after the death of 29-year-old Nicole Laube in August 2014. In addition, the teen pleaded guilty earlier this year to the Eugene attack. He was sentenced to 14 years and two months in prison by the Lane County Circuit Court for rape, kidnapping, sexual abuse and assault.


Please consider donating to the Emerald. We are an independent non-profit dedicated to supporting and educating this generation's best journalists. Your donation helps pay equipment costs, travel, payroll, and more!