Katrina Tabor

How/Why do you want to change the world? 

Changes need to be made within the education system in order to break down barriers that hinder the success of diverse students. As a future school counselor, I hope to influence the education system and all of the students that it affects.

What are you proud to have been involved with at University of Oregon? 

I am incredibly proud to have been involved with and held leadership positions within the UO Ambassador program, Pi Beta Phi, and The Vagina Monologues. I’ve also been involved with UO Gospel Singers, University Theatre, and University Singers, and I also served as a Recruitment Counselor for Panhellenic Recruitment.

Who is your biggest role model and why? 

One of my biggest role models is my grandpa, or ‚“Papa D‚“ as we called him. Not only was he an amazing grandpa, but he was also an influential school counselor. He worked as a school counselor for over 20 years, during which he lobbied for the necessity of school counselor certifications in the state of Oregon. It was important to him that school counselors were properly trained and certified before working. I admire his passion as well as how much he cared about the students he worked with. And of course, he is part of the reason that I am pursuing a career in school counseling.

What are your goals after college? 

After graduation, I will be attending Lewis & Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling to pursue a Masters in School Counseling. I hope to make a difference in the lives of youth by supporting them throughout their educational experience.

Which fictional character is most like yourself?

The fictional character that I’m most like is Miss Honey from Matilda. Not only does she have a passion for education, but she also sees the best in others. She mentors Matilda and is the first person to see her potential. I have always highly valued mentors in my life and find so much joy in mentoring others, and it is clear that Miss Honey does as well.

What is one fun fact about you? 

A fun fact about me is that I’ve auditioned for American Idol (and I can also lick my elbow!).

Tags