ASUONewsNews PodcastsPodcast

Podcast: ASUO and You: The Student Senate

The ASUO Student Senate is the largest branch of the University of Oregon’s student government and consists of 23 senators who manage approximately $16 million dollars in annual student fees. But how senators manage all of that money? Where does that money go? And what do senators even do on a daily basis?

Senate President Montse Mendez is starting her third year in ASUO, and we asked her to explain the basics of senate in episode 3 of ASUO and You.

This episode of ASUO and You was edited by Podcast Editor Ryan Nguyen.

ASUO funds the Daily Emerald and other student publications but does not have editorial control over the Emerald or other Emerald Media Group publications.

Ryan Nguyen

Ryan Nguyen

Ryan ("Nayr" ) Nguyen is the podcast editor for the Daily Emerald, the independent, student-run newspaper at the University of Oregon, and an aspiring investigative reporter. He manages, produces and edits several Emerald Podcast Network programs a week about student government, sports and science.

Nguyen also produces audio stories for Storytime, a weekly radio show focused on free-form narratives, for KWVA Eugene 88.1 FM, the UO campus radio station.

Previously, Nguyen covered student government as a news reporter for the Emerald. His stories appeared once per week in the weekly paper and online. Outside of his beat, he wrote stories spotlighting the dropout rates of UO’s Robert D. Clark Honors College, as well as hazing by a UO fraternity that was later suspended by the university.

He also reported a long-form story for FLUX Magazine, a UO publication and 2018 Pacemaker finalist, about the societal stigma that male nurses face.

He's a sophomore who is studying journalism and computer information technology, aka making pretty websites.

Big fan of fans, $300 textbooks and the Oxford comma.

Contact me with tips, weird story ideas or questions at [email protected]