FootballSports

Fotu Leiato dismissed from Oregon football after April arrest

Following his arrest in late April, senior linebacker Fotu Leiato has been dismissed from the Oregon football team, as first reported by 247sports.com.

247sports.com confirmed the removal Thursday afternoon by Oregon’s senior associate athletic director of communications Jimmy Stanton, stating that Leiato was removed a day after his arrest on April 25.

Leiato was arrested on charges of; theft, criminal trespassing and criminal mischief. The charges stem from Leiato removing a parking boot and failing to appear in court for a previous incident, references the Register-Guard. On April 9, a warrant was issued for Leiato’s arrest due to him missing an April court date in part of a November arrest for failing to pay bus fare.

“We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering all of the information,” head coach Mario Cristobal offered in a statement after Leiato’s April arrest. “We hold our student-athletes to high standards and will take appropriate action once all of the facts have been reviewed.”

Leiato played in 38 career games for Oregon, finishing with 37 total tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass breakups.

This is Cristobal’s first time dealing with a player arrest as head coach. Oregon’s last player to be dismissed from the team was wide receiver Darren Carrington, after a DUII arrest last July.

Follow Maggie Vanoni on Twitter @maggie_vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald covering football, volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis, track and field and softball. She is a lover of adventures, the Oregon Coast, writing and Ben and Jerry's. Follow her on Twitter at @maggie_vanoni and reach her at [email protected]