Men's TennisSports

Oregon men’s tennis season ends with 4-0 loss to No. 8 TCU

For the second year in a row, the Oregon Ducks (18-10) ended their season with a 4-0 loss in the second round of the NCAA Tournament — their third straight second-round loss in the tournament.

After winning their third straight NCAA Tournament opener on Saturday against No. 23 Tulsa, the Ducks fell to regional hosts and No. 8 Texas Christian University (20-4, 5-0) Sunday afternoon and lost their chance a spot in the Sweet 16.

The Horned Frogs put quick pressure on the Ducks, earning the doubles point with wins in courts No. 1 and No. 2.

Oregon’s duo of Thomas Laurent and Cormac Clissold were the first to fall, losing 1-6 to the TCU partnership of Guillermo Nuñez and Alex Rybakov. A 6-2 win in court No. 2 against Ducks Simon Stevens and Ty Gentry earned TCU the leading-point advantage into singles play.

In the singles competition, TCU took over the match early and created leads in five of the six courts, before winning in three courts to win the match 4-0.

Laurent once again was the first to fall, ending his five-match winning streak to TCU’s No. 21-ranked Rybakov in two sets, 1-6, 0-6, in court the No.1 position. Akihiro Tanaka was the next Duck to be defeated. In court No. 3, Tanaka fell 4-6, 2-6 to TCU.

The Horned Frog’s winning point came at the No. 4 court over Gentry in 4-6, 3-6.

The only Ducks that were able to win a set in the singles play were Clissold and Riki Oshima within the first sets of courts five and six respectively.

While Oregon ended its season, Laurent will prepare for the NCAA Singles Tournament, which begins May 23.

Follow Maggie Vanoni on Twitter: @maggie_vanoni

Would you like to increase opportunities for women and people of color in journalism? Now is your chance to support the Emerald’s program by helping us send reporter Ryan Nguyen and Emily Goodykoontz to the annual Investigative Reporters and Editors conference this June!

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald covering football, volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis, track and field and softball. She is a lover of adventures, the Oregon Coast, writing and Ben and Jerry's. Follow her on Twitter at @maggie_vanoni and reach her at [email protected]