Men's TennisSports

Oregon men’s tennis defeats No. 27 Dartmouth 4-0 in first round of NCAA Tournament

The No. 33 Oregon men’s tennis team kicked off its NCAA Tournament with an impressive 4-0 win over No. 27 Dartmouth.

The match marked the first top-30 win of the season for the Ducks, who have really hit their stride at the perfect time. Since the 4-3 loss to No. 13 USC on March 10, Oregon has now won eight of its last 11, including five against top-50 opponents.

The match started with the Ducks getting wins from the two and three positions in doubles. Ty Gentry and Simon Stevens got their now team-leading No. 24 win, downing Roko Glasnovic and Casey Ross 6-3. Armando Soemarno and Charles Roberts then won the doubles point by defeating Peter Conkin and Max Fliegner 6-4.

Akihiro Tanaka picked up his first career NCAA Tournament victory with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Dan Martin.

Thomas Laurent continued his winning ways, defeating No. 119 Charlie Broom, 6-3, 6-3. This marked Laurent’s fifth straight win and also his fourth straight over a ranked opponent.

Gentry closed out the sweep with a strong 6-4, 6-2 win. That victory was also Gentry’s first NCAA Tournament win.

Awaiting the Ducks in the next round will either be No. 50 Utah State or the host school, No. 8 TCU.

If Utah State is able to upset TCU, Oregon has shown the ability to dominate the Aggies, after beating them 4-0 on Feb. 28.

No matter the opponent, Oregon’s second round match of the NCAA Tournament will be tomorrow, Sunday, at 11 a.m.

Follow Maverick Pallack on Twitter @mavpallack

Maverick Pallack

Maverick Pallack

Maverick is an associate sports editor and reporter covering football, baseball, softball, track and field, women's tennis and men's tennis. You can follow him on Twitter @mavpallack or contact him at [email protected]