SportsTrack & Field

Kylee O’Connor, Austin Torres both place sixth at Pac-12 Multi-Event Championships

Senior Kylee O’Connor and junior Austin Torres both finished sixth at the Pac-12 Multi-Event Championships over the weekend. Their placements earned six points for Oregon Track and Field prior to the Pac-12 Championships this upcoming weekend.

O’Connor saved her best performance for the final round at the Pac-12 Multi-Event Championships on Sunday in Stanford, California. The Eugene native set a personal-best in all three of her javelin throws, finishing at 118 feet, six inches (36.12 meters). Then, she set another lifetime best in the 800-meters. Her time of two minutes, 15.51 seconds was more than three seconds faster than her previous best.

O’Connor made the switch from sprints and hurdles to heptathlon just a few months previously. She finished with 5,271 points, earning three points for the women’s team and placing her No. 10 on Oregon’s all-time list for the heptathlon.

Torres, a junior transfer from Lane Community College, competed in his first-ever decathlon. He had a strong start to the first day of competition, he set a personal-best of 52.97 seconds in the 400-meters and was in third after five events. With two events left on Sunday, he was in second place. However, the javelin throw was his demise; he dropped for spots after fouling three times.

“Great start for the Ducks,” head coach Robert Johnson told GoDucks.com. “Anytime we can go to a championship setting and put points on the board for the team, that’s always a plus.”

Alissa Brooks-Johnson (5,977 points) of Washington State clinched her third straight Pac-12 heptathlon title. On the men’s side, Stanford’s Harrison Williams (7,925 points) won the decathlon.

This Saturday, the men’s and women’s teams will compete at Sanford for the Pac-12 Championship. The Men of Oregon have won 12 straight titles, and the Ducks are hoping to earn a 10th consecutive conference team title.

Follow August Howell on Twitter @howell_august

Would you like to increase opportunities for women and people of color in journalism? Now is your chance to support the Emerald’s program by helping us send reporter Ryan Nguyen and Emily Goodykoontz to the annual Investigative Reporters and Editors conference this June!

August Howell

August Howell