SoftballSports

Oregon softball beats Washington as Ducks look to sweep Huskies Sunday

The No. 2 Oregon softball team took the second game of the series against No. 4 Washington in Seattle on Saturday thanks to a variety of plays from the Ducks’ offense.

The Ducks offense got going early with Jenna Lilley hitting a leadoff single, followed by a stealing second. Then, DJ Sanders knocked Lilley through to third on a bunt single. Sanders then stole second to give Oregon runners at second and third with Gwen Svekis at the plate.

Svekis put a ball in play, and a throw from shortstop to home in an effort to pick off Lilley was unsuccessful. Lilley was safe and the Ducks had the early 1-0 lead.

Washington took the lead in the bottom of the first inning. The Huskies had runners on the corner with no outs, but Oregon managed to get a runner out on a failed hit and run attempt. But, with one on, the Huskies’ Julia DePonte stepped up and launched a two-run home run to give Washington the 2-1 lead.

The Ducks responsed in the fourth when Lauren Lindvall blasted a two-run home run over the center field wall to retake the lead for Oregon at 3-2.

Oregon added some insurance in the sixth inning when Lindvall hit a single up the middle that escaped Washington’s infield, allowing Shannon Rhodes to score on the fielding error.

Miranda Elish held on in the circle, throwing a complete game, in which she allowed seven hits, two runs and three walks while striking out seven.

The Ducks will look for the sweep on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.