Men's BasketballSports

Seniors lead Oregon to 68-66 victory over Utah in Pac-12 tournament quarterfinal

After getting two blocks in the final 15 seconds of Wednesday’s win over Washington State, Oregon men’s basketball freshman center Kenny Wooten pinned Utah’s game-winning layup attempt to the backboard. The athletic play sealed Oregon’s 68-66 victory over Utah in the Pac-12 Tournament quarterfinal.

It was obviously a big play,” head coach Dana Altman said. “He was going to get a good look and Kenny got it.”

The Ducks were down 11 with 10 minutes left in the game, and with the way the offense was failing to score it seemed as if Oregon’s tournament would be over.

Utah was dissecting Oregon’s defense with a strong two-man game. Guard Justin Bibbins and David Collette fueled Utah’s pick-and-roll, drive-and-kick offense. The duo combined to score 36 points in the game, but it was Oregon’s senior corps that led the Ducks in the final minutes.

From the time the Ducks were down 11, seniors Paul White, MiKyle McIntosh and Elijah Brown scored all but one of Oregon’s points.

Oregon’s offense shot poorly in the first half at 29 percent, but the Ducks were only down by five at halftime. Oregon chipped away at Utah’s lead. Brown hit three 3-pointers — he was 7-of-10 on the night — over the span of four minutes to cut the lead to two with three minutes, 10 seconds left.

Then it was McIntosh’s turn. He scored seven of the final eight Oregon points, including an impressive and-1 with one minute left. They were the buckets that gave Oregon the final two point lead.

The Ducks only shot 37.7 percent from the field, but they survived and will play USC Friday at 8:30 p.m. in the Pac-12 Tournament semifinal.

Follow Jack Butler on Twitter @Butler917

Jack Butler

Jack Butler

I am the sports editor for the Daily Emerald. I cover football and basketball. Email me at [email protected]