News

Tuesday false shooting scare in Mckenzie Hall turns out to be a man yelling

A Tuesday shooting scare at the University of Oregon turned out to be a noise disturbance with no threat in Mckenzie Hall, according to UOPD Spokesman Kelly McIver.

From 11 to 11:07 a.m., a man in a Mckenzie Hall bathroom was yelling in the bathroom. A professor then evacuated his classroom in McKenzie Hall, according to McIver.

UOPD was called at 11:14 a.m., and when officers arrived at 11:19 a.m., the man was gone and those at the scene had no physical description of the man, according to McIver.

Police found a possible suspect, a man yelling to no one in particular, at the UO Duck Store and questioned him. The man was a known local resident and was released because police had no legal cause to detain him, according to McIver.

About an hour later, A Twitter user falsely tweeted, “Shooting threat in University of Oregon Mckenzie Hall.”

The UOPD Twitter account responded to the tweet and stated that there was no threat.

Casey Crowley

Casey Crowley

Casey Crowley is a Senior News Reporter for the Emerald. He is in his final year as a journalism major. He likes sports, movies and going to concerts.

Feel free to contact him at [email protected]