NewsTechnology

Schill invests $1 million in autonomous car, sustainable city tech development

University of Oregon President Michael Schill invested $1 million towards research on sustainable technology in cities on Monday as a part of his Presidential Fund for Excellence created from an anonymous $50 million donation in October.

Schill announced his commitment on Monday at the Urbanism Next National Conference, a conference focused on creating sustainable cities compatible with new technologies, according to Around the O, a university blog.

Urbanism Next is the UO organization leading these innovations. It was created in winter of 2017 as a part of the UO’s Sustainable Cities Initiative. Urbanism Next “focuses on the ramifications of changes in technology on the design and planning of cities,” with a focus on technologies like autonomous cars and ecommerce, according to the initiative’s website.

The Presidential Fund for Excellence was created after an anonymous $50 million donation to be spent at Schill’s discretion and, “with the donor’s intent being to provide resources for strategic investment,” said UO spokesman Tobin Klinger.

Schill outlined his first five initiatives to use the funds on in his State of the University address and can be found here.

Becca Robbins

Becca Robbins

Becca Robbins is a News Reporter. She is a junior majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing. She loves to read and watch sports.