Arts & CultureFilm & TV

UO alum James Ivory wins Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for ‘Call Me By Your Name’

University of Oregon alum James Ivory won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for his adaptation of Andre Aciman’s novella “Call Me By Your Name” at the 90th Academy Awards. At 89, Ivory is also the oldest person to win an Oscar.

Ivory, an acclaimed filmmaker, graduated from UO in 1951 with a degree in architecture and fine arts. He attended graduate school at USC, where he received his masters in film. He founded Merchant Ivory productions with his partner Ismail Merchant, who passed away in 2005.

Ivory visited UO in February as part of the 25th Queer Film Festival, which featured a screening of “Call Me By Your Name” and a Q&A with Ivory after where students had the chance to ask Ivory questions about his Oscar nomination and his view on queer films. Emerald A&C reporter Mia Vicino covered the event.

Ivory recently donated documents from Merchant Ivory productions to UO Libraries Special Collections.

View the trailer for “Call Me By Your Name” below:

Sararosa Davies

Sararosa Davies

Sararosa Davies is the senior A&C editor at the Emerald. A former editor at the youth-run music blog Garage Music News, her written work has been featured in City Pages in Minneapolis, Eugene Weekly and Sirius XM's music blog. She's one of many Minnesotan transplants in Oregon.

Send her tips and questions at [email protected] or check out her work at www.sararosadavies.com