News

UO student, 19, dies on Mt. Bachelor after falling into tree well

Update at 4:21 p.m.: Nicole Panet-Raymond was a sophomore studying at the Robert D. Clark Honors College. For more information on tree wells and skiing safety, visit deepsnowsafety.org.

A University of Oregon student died while skiing at Mt. Bachelor on Friday. According to a press release put out by the resort, ski patrol received a report Friday afternoon that 19-year-old Nicole Panet-Raymond became separated from her friends while skiing. Panet-Raymond was a sophomore studying at the Robert D. Clark Honors College. 

Mt. Bachelor Ski Patrol and Deschutes County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue found her in a tree well located near the White Bark Run around 8:30 p.m Friday. According to KTVZ, Deschutes County Sheriff’s SAR said that “cell phone analytics” played a role in locating Panet-Raymond.

Mt. Bachelor says that she was pronounced dead at the scene, but the sheriff’s office is investigating the incident.

A snowboarder also died Friday afternoon after falling into a tree well. Rescue workers performed CPR on the man after being found, and he was pronounced dead at 1:14 p.m., according to the press release.

The Emerald will continue to report on this story as it develops.

Michael Tobin

Michael Tobin

Michael is one of the Emerald's associate news editors. In his free time, he enjoys rock climbing and going to house shows. Drop him a tip via email at [email protected]