SportsWomen's Basketball

Sabrina Ionescu wins Pac-12 Player of the Year

Oregon women’s basketball guard Sabrina Ionescu is the Pac-12 Player of the Year, announced at the Pac-12’s first All-Conference Awards Show on Tuesday.

Ionescu, a sophomore, is the triple-double NCAA career record holder with nine in just two seasons of play. She shot 45.6 percent this year while averaging 6.7 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game.

Ionescu is also a semifinalist for the Naismith National Player of the Year, making her one of the top 10 players in the country. She and UCLA’s Jordin Canada are the only representatives of the Pac-12.

Ionescu broke onto the scene last year as a freshman when she recorded four triple-doubles, more than any freshman has ever recorded. Her clutch mentality saw her score a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to beat Cal in her freshman season as she helped lead the Ducks to an Elite Eight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Now, as a sophomore, Ionescu has lifted Oregon to new heights as Pac-12 regular season champions for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.

No. 1-seeded Oregon opens its Pac-12 Tournament play on Friday against either Colorado or Utah.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.