SportsWomen's Tennis

Oregon women’s tennis wins third straight, defeating Idaho 6-1

The No. 17 Oregon women’s tennis team returned to action Sunday, Feb. 25, riding the momentum of a 4-3 thrilling win over Baylor Friday night.

In a much different fashion, the Ducks dominated Idaho 6-1, improving their record to 8-3 on the season.

The Ducks took the doubles point for the third consecutive match after Alyssa Tobita and Rifanty Kahfiani defeated Maria Tavares and Laura Spataro 6-1 followed by the first ever pairing of Friday night hero Julia Lilien and senior Nia Rose, playing in her first match since Feb. 16, beating Shion Watabe and Maggie Chen 6-2.

Shweta Sangwan and Julia Eshet also won their second straight doubles match after the partner switch from Friday, winning their match 6-4.

In singles play, the freshmen got the party started with Paiton Wagner getting back in the win column beating Marta Magalhaes 6-2, 6-0 and Lilien winning her fifth straight match, defeating Lucia Badillos 6-3, 6-4 to bring the Ducks one win from victory.

Sangwan then closed out the win with two 6-3 victories over Tavares.

The match was not over, as Julia Eshet downed Spataro to keep within one win behind Sangwan for the team lead.

Nia Rose continued her great day, winning her first singles match of the spring, beating Watabe 7-6 (2), 6-2.

No. 125 Alyssa Tobita fought hard against No. 38 Marianna Petrei after dropping the first set 6-3. She reversed the score in the second set, forcing a deciding third set which she then dropped 6-4.

The Ducks will continue their homestand, hosting Fresno State this Saturday, March 3, at 5 p.m. at the Student Tennis Center, where they are undefeated this spring.

Follow Maverick Pallack on Twitter @mavpallack

Maverick Pallack

Maverick Pallack

Maverick is an associate sports editor and reporter covering football, baseball, softball, track and field, women's tennis and men's tennis. You can follow him on Twitter @mavpallack or contact him at [email protected]