Fraternity & Sorority LifeNews

UO student, 21, dies at off-campus residence

A UO student died in his off-campus house Friday morning. Police and medical personnel responded to reports of an unresponsive 21-year-old male at a house on the 400 block of E. 13th Avenue. He was pronounced dead at 11:46 a.m.

Eugene Police did not immediately identify the victim Friday. The Emerald is waiting to identify the student so there is time for friends and family to be notified. He was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

UO spokesman Tobin Klinger said that the university sent a message to the Fraternity and Sorority Life leadership informing them of the incident.

“The university has learned that a 21-year old fraternity member has died following a medical crisis at an off-campus residence Friday morning,” the message said. “We recognize that this is a difficult time for those in the fraternity and sorority communities, and the larger UO community.”

The message also encourages students to visit the counseling center if they are feeling distressed or call the UO crisis support line at 541-346-3227.

The Emerald will continue to report on this story as it develops.

Michael Tobin

Michael Tobin

Michael is one of the Emerald's associate news editors. In his free time, he enjoys rock climbing and going to house shows. Drop him a tip via email at [email protected]